Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday Musing

Ira can snap. and she can snap well.

Anyone care to share when they learned????

I didnt master snapping in even the most gracious definition until I was maybe 5? jared swears he was older. Now- she can snap songs and its loud and really cool. We kept telling her that she needed to practice and lots of people cant snap until they are older.


I think she does this stuff just to prove us wrong.

Then, this morning... as I was having a cup of coffee she came in and sat down next to me. I think I should preface this by saying we recently have been visiting the international wildlife museum, which is a natural history type museum, with taxidermy animals, birds, etc. Hunting collections i presume.. turned into a museum....very informative, very educational, very sad..... so the topic of dead animals has been a topic of discussion A LOT lately.

"Mom", she says... very business like.

"Mom, I think that its awful that people hunt animals in africa. But even though those people kill the lions... they have cubs.... and the cubs grow up and become lions and have cubs. So even if people still try to kill animals... there will always be a cycle. There will always be cubs, right mama? like an ecosystem. there are cycles."


i swear to you.... I just sat there. I had no words. she is four. just turned four two weeks ago. I felt like saying, "wanna color?"

her thoughts seem so heavy.

Instead, I said, "yes, there is a cycle. The cycle was in place before us... usually with the lions at the top.. They eat things like antelope and zebra, and the antelope and zebra eat the grass. Before man killed lion they didnt have any other natural predators..." and I turned it into an impromptu food chain discussion, then we did a craft... posted here...

It just amazes me though, the retention of information that we discuss casually and the ability to really understand, comprehend and then build on those concepts.

No comments: